This is a really quick but really flavourful dish, perfect for a weeknight dinner! This recipe is also super adaptable, you could use any seafood or any veggies you like with this method as a guideline.
Ingredients (to serve 4):
- 300 g Orzo
- 200 g Frozen raw king prawns
- ½ Cured chorizo ring
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 2 heaped teaspoon ‘Nduja
- 100 g Samphire
- 250 g Mixed cherry tomatoes
- 1 White onion, diced
- 500 ml Chicken stock
- 1 Can chopped tomatoes
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of chopped parsley, roughly chopped
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 Lemon, in wedges
- Crusty bread
- Start by mincing your garlic, dicing your onion, and slicing your chorizo. Heat a large, heavy bottomed pan with a splash of oil and a knob of butter. Gently saute your onion for a couple of minutes on a medium heat, then add your garlic. Cook for a further few minutes, then add your chorizo slices.
- Add your saffron to your stock, and leave to sit for a few minutes while you prepare everything else.
- Add your orzo, and toss well with your onion-garlic-chorizo mixture. Deglaze with a small splash of your stock first (you can also use wine or vinegar), scrape up anything stuck to the bottom, then add the rest of your stock and chopped tomatoes.
- Stir to combine, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium/low, and allow to cook for around 15 minutes. Stir occasionally so nothing sticks to the bottom.
- While that’s cooking, halve your tomatoes lengthways. Throw these in, along with the frozen prawns, after around 8 minutes.
- Chop your samphire roughly in thirds. When you’ve only got a few minutes to go, stir in your samphire (this cooks in around 3-4 minutes). Stir in your ‘Nduja. Season with salt and pepper. This is also a good time to taste, to see if you want to adjust any of the flavours.
- When your orzo is cooked and your prawns are pink, turn off the heat, and squeeze over your lemon juice. You can also stir in a knob of butter here.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and some chilli flakes, serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread. Enjoy!